pictures of the living

the world potrayed in words. poetry. short stories.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

is there still love

by tooney

The sun was scorching madly. I was technically dragging my foot in order to reach my destination. I mean, HELLO! I’m only 2 months pregnant and my tummy hasn’t even shown yet! And here I am dragging my feet like I’m 20kg fatter.

As the dragging activity took place, my arms couldn’t help swaying a bit too high and suddenly I felt like I actually knocked someone behind me. But there was no cursing or bad-mouthing echoing my doing. I said sorry while turning back and there he was, a little boy, primary school boy, just came back from school. On his shoulder, like any other ordinary secondary school boy in OUR country, he was carrying his really big school bag. More shockingly, he was actually pulling another school bag. And I was like, what the… until I saw a few seconds later, another boy, smaller than the former, walking behind him with a bottle of water. He was wearing the same primary school uniform BUT, he wasn’t carrying any school bag. Then it struck me, the other one was carrying his bag.

They were walking slowly. No sign of distress or tiredness on the bigger boy’s face. Just like any other young boys, the face was just red from the heat and that’s all. I couldn’t get any ‘negative’ expression on his face. After a few more steps the bigger boy stopped. The smaller boy went closer to him and gave him the bottle. “Ako! Yam aa,” I heard the younger boy said. Thank you God for the interest I have in watching Cantonese serial drama, I could actually understand what the smaller boy said. “Elder brother, have a drink!” And I can’t help being surprised by this situation. Here they are, the elder brother helping the smaller brother carried his bag, and the younger brother carrying his elder’s drink.

I purposely minimized my strides, as I just couldn’t help to wanting to know the end of this brotherly-love saga. As the elder brother was drinking from the bottle, the younger brother took out his hankie and wiped off his brother’s sweat. I just couldn’t help being sentimental. Thank god I was in the middle of a public corridor, if not I might just burst out crying and hugged both of the boys! The younger boy asked the elder one whether he was tired or not (thank god again my Cantonese vocabulary includes the word tired!) and the elder brother just smiled and said no, cheerfully. After that, they started walking again with the elder brother walking in the front, and the younger one following him from behind, with that bottle of water.

I actually halted my strides to watch them go away. In the world of increasing cruelty and brutality, I sometimes questioned myself: is there still love in this world? With all the killings, rapes, terrorisms, abuse cases and so much more scary events, I just couldn’t accept the fact that I might have to raise my kids in this unjust world. But after seeing the brothers just now, I just smiled and looked down at my still-flat tummy, “ Don’t worry baby, there’s still love in this world,”…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home